Friday, July 17, 2015

Vimeo & "When the Devil Knows Your Name" by Black Powder County

I've been neglecting this blog!  Buried in video work on live concerts, I've abandoned the Photo of the Day project (for now, it will return!), and between the concerts and the work on Recreating the Historic Columbia River Highway, I just haven't produced much content for the blog recently!

However, I have also been neglecting my Vimeo account.  So, I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and start a new series of posts featuring some of my recent video work as I post the clips to Vimeo.

These will mostly be concert videos with a couple of other things, mostly HCRH related, thrown in here and there.  One of the reasons that I haven't posted these videos and films here before is that they are a little off the subject matter this blog has settled into over the last few years, but it is a major direction that my work is going in now, so I feel that it is time to post them to my primary blog, regardless of the content that I've posted in the past.

Don't worry, this isn't going to fully turn into a music blog.  I still hope to post the sorts of posts that I've concentrated on in the past, the little adventure articles and what not, the landscape photos and travel logs and what not.

But I do want this blog to reflect my full body of work, too.

As for Vimeo...  One of the reasons why I don't post very often there is that I really do have mixed feelings about the platform.  While serious filmmakers prefer it to YouTube, it can feel a little pretentious from time to time.  Yes, everything looks great on it!  It handles video much better than YouTube, but this comes with some additional issues, too.  With clunkier computers or slower internet connections, it can be darned difficult to watch videos on it.  It stalls a lot, at least it used to. 

Over the years, there's been a number of periods when I've been stuck with both clunky, older computers and horrible internet speeds.  During those periods, it was almost impossible to watch any videos hosted on Vimeo.  It was very frustrating.

Perhaps this is why I feel it can be a bit pretentious.  "Oh, your gear isn't good enough to watch my beautiful video?  Rather than letting you watch at a resolution that will work for you, just come back later when you've upgraded on your end." 

Anyway, enough babble.

This is an "older" video  (only a few months, but it feels like years!) from the first concert film I directed and edited for Black Powder County.  They are great guys who make great music and put on an awesome show.

 
Black Powder County: "When the Devil Knows Your Name" - Live at the Bossanova Ballroom (2015) from A. F. Litt on Vimeo.

No comments: