Sunday, July 09, 2017

Carrizo Plain National Monument: 27 Monuments Stop #18

Photo by Bob Wick, April 1, 2017
Carrizo Plain National Monument, California
Public Domain
https://flic.kr/p/TWdYrh


National Monuments in Danger


We are down to the final days of the comment period!  Please, take the time today to comment on the fate of this national monument, any of the other 27 monuments on the Interior Department's list, or on the fate of all of them.  


To comment on the monument review process (due July 10, 2017):



With my last post on Ironwood Forest National Monument, I succeeded in the goal of getting at least one post up for each of the 22 "land" monuments before tomorrow's deadline, but it feels bittersweet.
The content was not always as deep as I would have liked, there are many photos that I'd like to share (especially from Grand Staircase-Escalante) that I will not get to, and let's not even talk about the typos and formatting errors (I promise to clean up the worst of the posts up as I find them)!  Cranking out the content was the goal, editing sometimes suffered...  

I will write a bit more about my feelings about this project and the plans for the future in a later post.

It was a marathon, and I don't think I would have made it without the videos from Brent Rose's 27 Monuments project.  He's still cranking through his last edits, too, it looks like, and I'll be sharing them as he gets them done...

Carrizo Plain National Monument is best known for it's "Super Blooms" and wildflowers, but aside from that, it is an incredibly important monument protecting some of the last natural landscapes in this part of California.

It is worthy of saving.






BLM: Carrizo Plain National Monument Map (as of June 2017) - PDF




Links









BLM:

Carrizo Plain NM:

National Monument Map:

flikr:  BLM - Carrizo Plain National Monument Wildflowers


Presidential Proclamation Establishing Carrizo Plain National Monument


Wikipedia:



No comments: