Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Who's going to Hell? It doesn't matter one way or the other


An old post I am moving over here from Democracy In Distress (2011-04-21 08:24):

First, a smorgasboard of articles... Links and a video...  I haven't read all of them yet.




Is Hell Dead? (www.time.com)
Rogue pastor Rob Bell's argument about salvation and judgment has Evangelicals in a fury -- and a young generation rethinking Jesus

My Take: Is Judas in heaven or hell? God only knows (religion.blogs.cnn.com)
Editor's Note: Craig Gross is the pastor and founder of XXXchurch.com. He has written seven books and speaks across the country on a range of topics. He just turned 35 and is no longer a hip 20-something pastor from California.
Christian author's book sparks charges of heresy

Firestorm grows over 'Christian heresy' book

Rob Bell punches back against claims of heresy
I don't have a lot to write on this, but I can offer my take.  I don't spend too much time worrying about what comes next.  But I do believe that we do have to power to create heaven or hell on Earth for ourselves.  The choices we make can take us in either way, and I tend to see the Biblical/religious concepts of hell as a parable for this truth.  As we say in my circles, we manufacture our own misery through the choices we make every day.

If there is something like heaven and hell waiting for us on the other side, then I have a hard time believing that our actions count for less than our exposure and acceptance of the teachings of Jesus Christ.  I find the following anecdote from Bell just outrageous:
An artist in the show had included a quotation from Mohandas Gandhi. Hardly a controversial touch, one would have thought. But one would have been wrong.
A visitor to the exhibit had stuck a note next to the Gandhi quotation: "Reality check: He's in hell." Bell was struck.
Really? he recalls thinking. 
Gandhi's in hell?
He is?
We have confirmation of this?
Somebody knows this?
Without a doubt?
And that somebody decided to take on the responsibility of letting the rest of us know?
I am sure that, according to at least one person, everyone is in hell. Gandhi is in hell for being a non-Christian. Mother Theresa is in hell for being a Catholic. F.D.R. is in hell for being a Democrat. Reagan is in hell for being a Republican. J.F.K. is in hell for being a Democrat and a Catholic... And everyone not liked by anyone is burning in hell, or, at least, someone is hoping that they are.

I think our time is better spent trying to make the world around us a better place. Whatever happens beyond that is beyond our control anyway.

No comments: