Friday, June 17, 2011

An interesting look at the writing of A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin

Not A Blog: Talking About the Dance

This is a book that is long, long over due, and the author's blog post about completing it is a very interesting look at the writing process, at least on the revision process and the publication process.  Lot's of different thoughts out there about Martin and his talent as a writer, and I share some of the better opinions and some of the worse, but the best praise I have is that, regardless, I've been waiting for this book for years.

Considering how difficult it was for him to write, I was hoping that he'd wrap the story up and make this the final book in the series.  Unfortunately, that does not appear to be the case and he is promising a sixth book, at least: The Winds of Winter.  How many years will we have to wait for this one?  Almost makes me want to wait until the whole series is complete, one way or another, before reading the rest.  But I won't.  I'll be picking Dragons up as soon as it comes out.

Reminds me of another series that took almost an entire lifetime to write, King's Dark Tower books.  Seems that he wasn't quite done yet.  Not a sequel, though, to the final volume.  That would be impossible.  In his words, it is more like volume 4.5.

Anyway, can't say I was really dying to read another Dark Tower book.  But, damn it.  I know I will.

 StephenKing.com is proud to announce The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole. The next installment of the epic series is set for release in 2012.


No comments: