Thursday, November 24, 2011

Tsunami 1.26, 2011, an aerial lace installation…



Janet Echelman's Aerial Installations | EcoSalon | Conscious Culture and Fashion - StumbleUpon:
Echelman explains her installation (pictured above) in Sydney, Australia:
Tsunami 1.26, 2011, an aerial lace installation, was inspired by the 2010 Chile earthquake’s ensuing tsunami and the 1.26-microsecond shortening of the day that resulted from the earthquake’s redistribution of the Earth’s mass. By meditating on these epiphenomena, the work underscores the interdependence of Earth systems and the global community. It asks the viewer to pause and consider the larger fabric of which they are a part.
My studio created hand-knotted models to achieve the complex shaping of the piece.
I really like her art.  Her TED talk was also interesting, but I find the artist herself a little, I don’t know… Then again I find most “artists” talking about “art” to be insufferable. 

At the end of the day, does it look cool and stir something in the soul?

Well, that is all I need to know. 

I find the image above compelling.  Whatever this inanimate object is meditating on is its own business, though it is nice if the artist was thinking about this when she was directing its creation.  Likewise, I care little whether or not it is “asking” me “to pause and consider the larger fabric of which [I am] a part…”

Burp.

Finally, artists like Echelman challenge my perception of what it is to be an artist.  When most of the work is done by others, what is the role of the individual?  I feel she should get credit for the idea, the management of the vision during the creation process, bringing the team together in the first place, etc.  But I always feel that a more collaborative credit for the final piece may be more appropriate than an individual credit.  The Janet Echelman Studio might, in my mind, be a more accurate artist credit.

Don’t get me started on Chihuly…

Attitudes like this will probably why I will fail as an artist.

Here’s Echelman’s TED talk…

 
Related Posts

from tag picture
from tag art
from tag creative process
(more..)

No comments: