Friday, March 25, 2011

Looking for home...

Shopping around for a photography website to call home.  Not sure where I'll land yet.  Some thoughts so far...

deviantArt:  I've had a presence there for years, but I am not sure if the "tone" of the site is really right for my work.  However, it seems to have the most bang for the buck for free users, which is a huge factor.  I do not want to be pinned down to a paid account that can be lost or made unavailable due to future financial downturns.  I like the ability to sell prints, I like the vast community.  Really, I do like it here.

Picasa Web Folders:  Well, this one seamlessly merges with my editing software, which is currently Picasa.  Plus, I seem to be finding myself more and more in bed with Google, which is the owner of these products.  However, they do have a 1GB limit on their free accounts, which will be a problem eventually.  I am not sure about what sort of community/social networking features are offered yet- further exploration required.

Facebook:  This is the current dumping ground for my photos.  Not a portfolio, a dumping ground.  I put almost everything in here that does not have a thumb or a camera strap in it.  This will always be the dumping ground for family photos, of course.  However, for everything else, I am not sure I will continue.  Still, it is easy for bulk uploads and has unlimited storage, so I probably won't change what I am doing at this time here.

Photo.net:  Five pictures for free accounts?  Really?  This seems to share a lot of the same features as deviantArt, perhaps a bit more professional.   I am sure that charging for the service weeds out a lot of the wheat from the chafe, but, as I said above, I have concerns about being tied to a pay site.

Photobucket:  So far, I like.  I need to find out more.  I may keep something around like deviantArt for a select portfolio, and something like this for a more expanded selection of pictures, maybe even a new dumping ground a la Facebook.  Maybe a bit more selective that FB.  But I need to spend some more time exploring here.  As with Picasa, I am not sure about what sort of community/social networking features are offered yet- further exploration required.

And that is the real point, I need to spend some more time getting to know most of these sites, and I need to keep exploring and seeing what else is out there.  

No comments: