Monday, November 26, 2012

Writers on Writing: Daily Routines

Found these articles this morning, mostly on writing routines…  Not that I am on one right now, three days off of writing at the end of NaNoWriMo?  Yep.  But that is life…  If I am super productive today, I may have a little time to get a few words in tonight, but not worrying about that right now.

Henry Miller's 11 Commandments of Writing & Daily Creative Routine | Brain Pickings:

"Write first and always. Painting, music, friends, cinema, all these come afterwards."

Kurt Vonnegut's Daily Routine | Brain Pickings:

“In an unmoored life like mine, sleep and hunger and work arrange themselves to suit themselves, without consulting me.”

I cannot find the quote this morning but he once wrote that he only had two good hours a day, that this is what most of us get, most days.  We need to take advantage of those hours because the rest of the day, we will be not quite as sharp, not quite as brilliant, but for those two hours, we are at our best and can do anything.  Because of this, we also need to be careful not to waste this precious time.

I see this principal working in my own life most days.  I think this was from Timequake.

The Daily Routines of Famous Writers | Brain Pickings:

“A writer who waits for ideal conditions under which to work will die without putting a word on paper.”

 

Related Posts

No comments: