Friday, September 30, 2011

Facebook, It's Time To Kill the Poke

Facebook, It's Time To Kill the Poke: "Here’s my problem with the poke: What the heck does it mean?

I originally assumed that Poking was merely flirting: a subtle way to get the attention of another Facebook user. And yet just less than half of my Pokes are from males. So again: What does a Poke mean? And should we take a Poke to be flirtatious when it could, in my case, just as easily mean “Hey, I just sent you a press release about my new app”?

Facebook doesn’t even know what a Poke means, with the Help page reading: “The poke feature can be used for a variety of things on Facebook. For instance, you can poke your friends to say hello.” Ah, so they’re either saying hello, or flirting, or pestering … or something completely different."


'via Blog this'

Exactly. I've got three that have been sitting there for ages. It's not that I don't want to poke you back, but more that I just don't even think about pokes or what pokes even mean.

Or, as the above article says, "do I just need to be college-ages to understand the wonder of the Poke?"

I am sure that it was useful and meaningful in the early days of the Facebook. But by the time most of us came along, it was already like nipples on a mule. Pretty much useless.

No comments: