Wednesday, April 06, 2011

That damned novel project: Two from The Onion...

Novel?  Yeah, I am working on one.  Sort of.  I've been working on it for years.  In fact, the one I am working on now, in one form or another, dates back to high school.  It is not the same book, I could publish that old manuscript and the new one and they would completely stand alone as separate novels, but it definitely has its roots there, it started there and evolved from there.

It is not the only novel I've not finished, but it is the oldest.  Over twenty years old now.  Wow.  Right now it is caught in what they would call in the film making world "developmental hell."  I am still researching, world building, and developing characters and plot.  But, bottom line, I haven't really started it yet.

Maybe I can borrow some excuses from this...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/why-havent-we-finished-our-novel,19351

I think I'll go with the snow excuse.  It was deep.  In my mind, at least.

Of course, if I ever finish the damned thing, then I need to deal with this, which is probably as much of a reason as anything for why I haven't finished mine.  It is hard for me to justify the time expenditure when there is no guarantee that anyone other than a few friends will ever read the thing.  Of course, I look at the work as a hobby, just a fun thing to do in my spare time.  Of which I have very little and what I do have I've been spending on photography these days.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/why-was-our-novel-rejected,7547/

No comments: